Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Ways to Cook Potatoes






"Every diet I've ever fallen off has been because of a potato. Potato, potato, potato. I never met a spud I didn't like!"

- Dolly Parton

She's right. Potatoes are the best! Most people eat potatoes boiled or boiled then mashed, or make them into french fries, or bake them because those are the easiest ways and you don't want to have to wait long when you're thinking about eating potatoes. I don't like baked potatoes much because there is usually too much potato compared to toppings, like butter and cheese and bacon. But if you bake them and then make them into potato skins, that is a win!

Bopa used to fry leftover boiled potatoes in the morning and sometimes mix them into scrambled eggs. He also used to make "raw fries" the same way but with sliced, raw potatoes.

Little two-bite potatoes are great when they are boiled with seasonings added. You can also go a step further and put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and squish them with a cup then bake them some more. They are supposed to be crispy but I haven't found the secret to it yet so we just eat them un-squished.

One of the best ways to make them is to peel 2 large russet potatoes and cut off the sides so they are long rectangles. Slice off squares that are about 1/2 inch thick. Line them along a chopstick and make cuts that don't go all the way through (because the knife is stopped by the chopstick). Turn the slices and then make the same cuts going the other direction so they are cross-cut. Put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet (of course) and brush them with melted butter mixed with parsley, minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and grated parmesan (not from a can) then bake them at 400 for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes brush them again and bake for another 20 minutes. 

There may be a real name for them, but I call them C-3PO's (Criss-Cross Cubed Potatoes).






Trying to trick Mommy into thinking
I can hold my own bottle.



Trying to trick Mommy again that I had
chocolate milk for an afternoon snack.




No comments:

Post a Comment