Wednesday, April 21, 2021

The Big Dipper and the Little Dipper


The Big and Little Dippers are patterns in the stars called constellations. To me, most constellations don't look like what they are supposed to, but these do, especially the Big Dipper. They are shaped like ladles, the big spoons that you scoop soup out of a pot with. Sometimes they are called the wagon or the plow because they kind of look like that too. I'm telling you, you can see whatever you want in a constellation or in the clouds.

These constellations are also called "Ursa Major" which means Big Bear and "Ursa Minor" which means Little Bear.

I have never heard the song, "Man in the Moon" sung by anyone other than my Grandma Utpadel or my mom so I don't know the exact tune, but the words I learned are:

The Man in the Moon that sails the sky
Is a most courageous skipper,
But he made a mistake when he tried to take
A drink of milk from the Dipper.
He dipped into the Milky Way,
And slowly and cautiously filled it,
The Little Bear howled and the Big Bear growled
And frightened him 'til he spilled it!

My favorite song about stars



No comments:

Post a Comment